Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The I love Budget Cocktails

There is something exquisite on a cocktail expertly crafted, beautiful-submitted, especially if said cocktail is consumed during in a bar in low light with someone you really or in a bistro while you're done laughing with girlfriends for a long time.

Maybe this is the reason that despite being does not a heavy drinker, I have to order a cocktail almost whenever I go out. I limit myself to 1 cocktail per night and one night per weekend, but these drinks always add up. At $8-$15 per cocktail, more tips, I spent ~ $60 on cocktails in the single month. It's a huge leap for a few years, when I spent only ~ $15 per month on alcohol. Certainly, it is summer, I'm in a new city, I take to be very social with friends and such profligacy would not continue once I returned to the school.

According to NPR, Americans spend about 1% of their total expenditures for alcohol - beer wine liquor, hard, etc. This number has stayed very consistent over the past 30 years, but the percentage of restaurant/lounge alcohol expenditures increased (~ 25% to 40%). Given the price I've seen drinks at bars and restaurants, I can understand why! (I wrote before about the markup on wine in restaurants). Price of the cocktails, in particular, have been reaching new heights to as high as $25. The cocktail more expensive that I had was around $12 or $13. I raise usually $2 or $3 glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment