Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

I really, really, want to buy a house

If you’ve been reading this blog for a while now, you know I have a  bad case of Buy-A-House fever. It’s not quite rational, but I just imagine my beautiful house with a deck overlooking the hills of Southern California and a dinner party with strawberry salad and a Welsh Corgi running around and HAPPINESS.

Like I said, not quite rational.

But lately my tendency to browse Trulia at every spare moment has increased by 10X. Part of it is that I am less than 2 years from 30, and 30 seems to be an age where I thought I’d have a home. Or at least a down payment. Part of it is that my good friend just bought a house with her fiance, and I am unbelievably excited for her and also slightly melancholic that we are nowhere near ready to buy. Part of it is that housing prices near my parents (where we’d eventually like to own a place – even if we rent it out while we gallivant around the country/world) has skyrocketed in the past few years. Investors are buying places for $250,000, fixing them up and flipping them in 4 months for $450,000+. And these houses are selling… like hotcakes. Like bidding war hotcakes. So I have this fear that if we don’t get our act together and buy in the next 2+ years, we’ll be priced out of our family neighborhoods forever.

The bottom line is that I want to buy a house, right now. But I can’t and I shouldn’t, right now. And that is incredibly frustrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment