Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Considered in

Before I started my summer internship, my employer sent Sheryl Sandberg "to look in: women, work and willingness to lead"to all female trainees.» I wanted to read this book because it came out, so I was very excited get a copy through the mail. I remember your stay until 03 read the book at one time. Much has been said and written and discussed on the Lean in, and the book received its share of praise and criticism. One of my favorite bloggers, Emily, has his thoughts on the book on a June blog post.

Of Lean in the messages really resonated with me. There are 3 major takeaway of the book for me: 1. do not leave until you leave, 2 men and women can be very different messages during the road towards their goals, 3 home equal partnership is essential and necessary.

It is the biggest message I've gotten from the book - all our choices are made with alternatives in mind. If you have a great job where you have the autonomy, a fair compensation and opportunity to learn and to develop a caring society, which is a much more attractive alternative that a job sucking his soul in an environment violate where you are slaved under. You can always decide to leave (and it's perfectly OK), but you owe it to yourself to create the best possible options.

For most people, it takes time to get to a job of responsibility and power where you have more latitude on how you manage your time, or make enough money to hire help or even be at a high enough level that you can go part time or take the time before you return to your career at the same level. If the women (or men!) count themselves out of the game before you have to make that decision, then their decision would be very different if they had pushed hard until they had to decide.

There is a passage to the Lean describing the achievements of the career and life as a marathon. Two riders amounted to the starting line, the two are also motivated, also trained, equally capable. They begin to run. The road becomes more difficult, racers become tired. The spectators on the side of the road start cheers different Cheers to the two riders. A runner is encouraged: "you can do!, it will be worth it! you are so strong, you got this far, don't give up! "and other rider is subtly discouraged of the race:"this race is really difficult! " Are you sure that you want to do this? It's great to know how far you have already come, do not complete if you want."

Now maybe 1 therefore want really to leave this race and run another race, or take a break and then rejoin the race. And perhaps a rider really wants to continue. In my opinion, Sandberg, does not say that the race to quit is bad or that it is bad to a different race. She said that the message that these two riders get should not be based on their sex. And in that I agree 100%.

* Also, I read reviews that the Sandberg is unfair for stay at home parents - this is not how I took it. The mother of Sandberg was a SAHM and you could say that she has enormous respect for her. In fact, Sandberg wrote that it must be more acceptable for men to stay at home if it is the best for their family and for women to continue the great careers.* *.

I know that I want - no, I need - a partner to participate fully in the House. The phenomenon of the "second shift" has been well documented. For social or personal reasons, many women who work full-time outside the home is also the largest part of the work inside the House: kitchen, cleaning, organization, management, planning, etc, etc. My mother did. I did not and will not. Fortunately, CB includes my insistence on this point because he loves me and I want to be happy, and equality between the partners in a marriage is a major determinant of my satisfaction at my wedding.

Lean has a very good section on why and how women should insist on a full, partner and is the section that has been often neglected in discussions of the media, but I think that's one of the most important takeaway from the book. Emphasize your partner in full partner. It is important and it is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment