Pages

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

My money and I are quickly parted, at Costco, Whole Foods, and Target

What do Costco, Whole Foods, and Target have in common? Personally, these three retailers have an uncanny way of getting me to whip out my wallet. And every time I leave the store, I leave with something not on my original shopping list.


Seriously, it is so hard for me to stick to the items on my list. Costco, Target, and Whole Foods seem to hit upon the perfect combination of fun and value – I enjoy wandering around the stores and I usually want to buy 90% of everything in sight. Whole Foods always get me with some cool new snack or drink (last time I spent $10 on a bottle of cold-brewed coffee), Costco is just full of things I never knew I’ve always wanted (ultra-skinny hangers, giant tubs of Madeleine cookies), and Target, well, Target just makes the most mundane, everyday, items look fresh and appealing.


Today I had a mental list when I walked into my neighborhood Target: some toiletries, maybe a snack. After I picked up my shampoo and conditioner, though, I bumped into the Clearance aisle and almost dropped $60 on a accent tray table, $15 on a wooden box with a snake handle, and another $30 on a pair of botanical prints . Fortunately, I was able to exercise *some* self-control – so for my splurge I decided to pick up a $5 movie instead. I’m lucky that I got out of that store with only a $5 item that’s not on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment