Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

App IPad for Glasses.com: try glasses virtually, almost as good as real life



I have worn glasses for almost all my life. Whenever I visit an optometrist, I pass what looks like hours to try on different glasses, trying to choose one that is not only comfortable, but also my face which fits. There were times where I wondered, wouldn't it be nice if I could just try on glasses virtually? This way, it makes an optometrist if I do not have the medical need, and I can access a range of lenses much broader than what is located in the office of the optometrist.

Well, apparently someone at Glasses.com which is much more technologically capable also had the same thought - and in fact created an iPad application that currently supports virtual glasses.

Using what glasses.com calls 3DFit technology, this iPad app allows users to take a picture of their face, virtually try on glasses of almost all brands and then see what it looks like from all angles in realistic 3D. This is what the Queen in la belle au bois dormant would have used his magic mirror for if she was channelling his jealousy to find the perfect pair of frames.

First of all, you can use the camera on your iPad functionality to scan your face as you turn left to right. Then, you would use a QR code to draw a line where your eyes are (so that the application can determine how to position the virtual glasses). Once this step is complete, all that remains is to choose glasses you want to 'try' and decide you want to search.

I remember when I was in college or high school and there was a site that helped you to see what a new hair cut would look like. But it took an eternity to download your photo, hairstyles all looked if false (as wigs badly photoshopped on your picture), and it was not helpful in making a decision at all. Well, the iPad glasses.com app is exactly the opposite of that.

Bottom line: this app is easy to use and most importantly, it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment